Law Blog

How to Adopt a Grandchild

How to Adopt a Grandchild

While adoption is normally something to be celebrated, the circumstances leading a grandparent to adopt his or her grandchild are often very sad. In some cases, the parent had the child too young and isn’t mature enough to handle raising a baby. Other times, the parent is struggling with drug addiction or alcoholism and isn’t capable of taking care of him- or herself, much less a child. And in some instances, the parent has passed away from an accident or after struggling with a terminal illness.

Because you’re already in a stressful position to begin with, and because the adoption process can be so confusing, it’s imperative that you retain an attorney who’s familiar with this area of the law. He or she will explain to you in more detail what the adoption will entail, but here’s a little of what you can expect:

  • Your attorney will help you file a Petition for Relative Adoption.
  • If the parents’ consent is required, you’ll need to obtain that.
  • If the parents’ consent isn’t required (for example, if they abandoned the child or if their rights have been terminated), you’ll need to explain the circumstances.
  • The court will conduct a hearing.
  • The court will issue a decision on whether the adoption can proceed.

Notably, unlike with certain other types of adoptions, relative adoptions don’t require a home study.

Attorneys Experienced With Relative Adoptions in Tampa Bay

If you live in the greater Tampa Bay area, you can get the help you need from the attorneys at the Law Offices of Audrey A. Jefferis, P.A. We have considerable experience with grandparent adoptions and various other types of relative adoptions, and we’d love the chance to help you through this process. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.

The divorce and Family Law Attorneys at The Law Offices of Audrey A. Jefferis provide services in the following counties: Pasco County, Pinellas County, Hernando County and Hillsborough County. Let us help you today!

How Can We Help You

Need legal representation? Fill in our contact form with some information about your case/concern. One of our representatives will respond to you shortly.