The Tampa Bay Family Law Firm to Choose for Adoptions by Relatives & Stepparents

Step Parent Adoption New Port Richey FLFor relative and stepparent adoptions in the Tampa Bay area, turn to the family law experts at the Law Offices of Audrey A. Jefferis, P.A. Our firm has extensive experience handling this type of case. Whether you’re seeking to adopt a relative or a stepchild, or you’ve been notified that someone’s trying to adopt your child and you want to object, we can help guide you through this often-confusing process.

The Adoption Process

Adoption procedures for relatives and stepparents are fairly similar. The adoption process begins by filing a petition with the court. The petitioner will need to demonstrate that both biological parents consent to the adoption. If that’s not the case, and at least one of the parents is objecting to the adoption, the petitioner will have to show why his or her consent isn’t required (there are certain circumstances where consent won’t be necessary, such as where a parent abandoned a child, or where a parent’s rights were terminated). The court will then conduct a hearing to determine whether the adoption can proceed. Florida’s adoption process can be quite complicated, so it’s important to partner with an experienced family law practitioner who can offer advice at every turn.

Consult With a Skilled Attorney

If you’d like to sit down with one of our knowledgeable family law attorneys to discuss a relative or stepparent adoption, contact the Law Offices of Audrey A. Jefferis, P.A. We’ll be happy to schedule a consultation at a date and time that’s convenient for you. Our firm is based in New Port Richey, FL, and we serve clients throughout the Tampa Bay area. If you’d prefer, we can also meet at our satellite office in Palm Harbor, FL.

The divorce and Family Law Attorneys at The Law Offices of Audrey A. Jefferis provide services in the following counties: Pasco County, Pinellas County, Hernando County and Hillsborough County. Let us help you today!

How Can We Help You

Need legal representation? Fill in our contact form with some information about your case/concern. One of our representatives will respond to you shortly.