The Divorce Attorneys of Choice in the Greater Tampa Bay Area
If you need a divorce attorney in the Tampa Bay area, you can feel confident turning to the experts at the Law Offices of Audrey A. Jefferis, P.A. Our firm has years of experience assisting clients with divorces and other family law matters, and we have the skills and training needed to help you achieve your goals. We provide assistance with all aspects of a divorce, including but not limited to:
- The division of assets
- Alimony (spousal support)
- Child support
- Parental responsibility (custody) and time-sharing (visitation)
We believe in the principles of collaborative law, and our divorce lawyers strive to peacefully reach win-win settlements using creative problem-solving and solutions-oriented representation. If we’re unable to negotiate a settlement, however, we’ll zealously advocate for your interests in the courtroom.
Divorce Actions in Florida
In order for a Florida court to have jurisdiction over a divorce, one or both of the spouses must have resided in the state for at least six months before the filing of the divorce petition. Once jurisdiction is established, the court must find the marriage to be irretrievably broken. It’s not necessary to prove adultery, abandonment, or any other specific cause — so long as at least one spouse wants a divorce and believes that the marriage is broken, the marriage can be dissolved. During divorce proceedings, the court may:
- Divide assets such as the home, other real estate, investments, businesses, and retirement plans
- Divide debts, including mortgage obligations, tax debts, student loan obligations, and credit card debts
- Award alimony (spousal support)
- Determine parental authority (custody)
- Enter a parenting plan that establishes time-sharing (visitation) and other issues regarding children
- Award attorneys’ fees, costs, and other relief
At the Law Offices of Audrey A. Jefferis, P.A., we understand what a significant impact divorce can have on day-to-day life. Our knowledgeable and compassionate divorce lawyers will do everything they can to make the process as simple as possible and minimize any negative consequences on your family’s lives.
If you need a divorce attorney in the Tampa Bay area, contact the Law Offices of Audrey A. Jefferis, P.A., to schedule a consultation. Our main office — located in New Port Richey, FL — is open on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. We also operate a satellite office in Palm Harbor, FL, for our clients’ convenience. We look forward to meeting with you.