Alimony Changes

Choose Our Firm for Alimony Modifications in the Greater Tampa Bay Area

Alimony Modification New Port Richey FLAre you looking to change the amount of alimony that you’re paying or receiving each month? Or, has your ex-spouse filed a petition for an alimony modification? In either case, you can feel confident turning to the attorneys of the Law Offices of Audrey A. Jefferis, P.A., a trusted family law firm that serves clients in New Port Richey, Florida, and nearby communities. Alimony modification (sometimes referred to as “spousal support modification”) can be a tricky area of law, but we have extensive experience handling this type of case. We’ll skillfully walk you through the entire modification process — from the time a petition is filed, through financial disclosures and mediation, and even through trial, if necessary.

When Can Alimony Be Modified?

There are some instances where alimony can never be modified. For example, if your divorce judgment didn’t provide for alimony, neither you nor your ex-spouse will be able to request it later on. The experienced attorneys at our firm will be able to let you know whether your alimony is modifiable.

If it turns out that your alimony award does qualify for modification, the spouse seeking the adjustment will need to file a petition showing that there has been a substantial and unanticipated change in circumstances. The spouse who was ordered to pay alimony might argue that he or she isn’t able to afford the payments anymore, or that the other spouse no longer needs as much financial assistance. On the other end of the spectrum, the spouse who’s been receiving alimony might claim that his or her needs have increased since the divorce. While circumstances will change from case to case, some common reasons to seek an alimony modification include:

  • Changes in income and salary
  • Retirement
  • Involuntary unemployment (whether through disability, firing, or layoff)
  • Medical issues
  • Health insurance policy changes

The paying spouse can also request an alimony modification if the other spouse remarries or moves in with someone who’s helping to support him or her.

For More Information

If you’re in the Tampa Bay area and you’re interested in pursuing an alimony modification — or if your ex-spouse has requested a modification and you need to defend against it — contact the Law Offices of Audrey A. Jefferis, P.A. Our knowledgeable team will be happy to answer your questions and help you schedule a consultation at a date and time of your choosing. Our main office, which is located in New Port Richey, FL, is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m., and we also have a satellite office in Palm Harbor, FL, for your convenience.

The divorce and Family Law Attorneys at The Law Offices of Audrey A. Jefferis provide services in the following counties: Pasco County, Pinellas County, Hernando County and Hillsborough County. Let us help you today!

How Can We Help You

Need legal representation? Fill in our contact form with some information about your case/concern. One of our representatives will respond to you shortly.